Helping Your Nonprofit Organization Make a Great Executive Hire
Our Executive Search Program helps nonprofit boards of directors make excellent Chief Executive hiring decisions through high-caliber needs assessment, thorough search planning, strategic recruitment, insightful screening and unparalleled interview facilitation.
Hiring your chief executive is the single most important decision your board will ever make. And while a change in leadership always brings challenges, it also brings great opportunity. We can help you maximize that opportunity. Third Sector Company is the expert, not just in executive search, but in all aspects of nonprofit leadership transition. We will work hand in hand with your board and senior leadership to facilitate an efficient and effective search for the person who best fits your organization’s leadership needs. In the process we will help unify the organization’s volunteer and professional leaders and build organizational capacity that your next chief executive can leverage. Contact Us
Check out the leadership searches that are open now on our Current Searches page.
Our Nonprofit Executive Search Process
We offer a comprehensive yet price-sensitive alternative to traditional search firms. How are we different? We have extensive experience as nonprofit executive directors ourselves, so we possess a deep understanding of that role and the partnership between the board and executive. That is an advantage that pays dividends at every step of the search process.
And we believe our role is not simply to facilitate a search, but to help orchestrate a successful organizational transition. We do that through:
- A Methodical Preparation Process: Extensive interviews are conducted with board members, senior staff and other key stakeholders to understand the organization’s current status and future direction, including the strengths and challenges associated with its financial picture, business model, and workplace culture, among other factors. These interviews provide guidance for strengthening the organization and aligning all leaders around a desired strategic direction. They also help identify the desired skills and qualifications of the new Executive Director.
- Staff Involvement: Senior staff leaders are provided opportunities to participate in the search and inform the hiring decision-makers with their professional opinions and aspirations. An internal communications strategy is also created for keeping staff and other key stakeholders informed throughout the process.
- An Executive Onboarding Component: After the hire, we support the new executive, board and staff during the first few months by helping align goals and objectives among all the organization’s leaders. We can also provide peer mentoring and support exclusively to the executive, if invited.
- Comprehensive Search Facilitation: We provide comprehensive support for your organization throughout the search process, including:
- Creating an enticing job announcement, and facilitating a broad advertising and targeted recruiting campaign reach out to potential highly-qualified candidates with an encouragement to apply.
- Conducting a pre-screen of applicants based on approved criteria
- Arranging meeting logistics and communications between the organization and candidates
- Facilitating two rounds of interviews, culminating in selecting a candidate that fits your organization’s culture and leadership needs.
- Handling contacts and negotiations between both parties to create a mutually beneficial agreement and the highest degree of satisfaction
Additionally, all executive search clients receive a comprehensive 110-page volunteer search process manual, including an interview guide, committee proceedings, and executive transition tools.
Our Equity Statement
Third Sector Company, Inc. is committed to advancing diversity, inclusion, equity, and access as foundational to its programs.
We acknowledge and honor the fundamental value and dignity of all people; and we pledge our individual and organizational efforts to build respect, dignity, caring, and equitable treatment for all. As an organization, we are committed to transforming the world into one that promotes social justice and freedom from oppression, including but not limited to, racism, sexism, classism, heterosexism, ageism, and ableism. Thus, we aim to be adaptable, actively anti-racist, embracing cultural differences, and to be accessible for people who are differently resourced and differently abled.
Since we do not want financial hardship to be a barrier to participation in our services and community life, we practice sliding fee pricing based on organizational budget, offer scholarships to all education offerings and invite pro-bono or reduced fee service delivery by application.
For More Information
Third Sector Company’s mission is to foster leadership continuity solutions that help systems, organizations, and individuals to advance sustainable community causes throughout the United States and Canada. If you are part of an organization looking to make a change or hoping to ensure your leadership selection process goes smoothly, contact us today.